'skine.art Twitter page RSS Amazon Wishlist 'skine.art Facebook page Moleskine Art Facebook group 'skine.art on Kindle
home | interviews | contributors | shop | faq
login or register to submit your art
MattiasBanner

traveling sketchbook?

Home Forums General Discussion traveling sketchbook?

This topic contains 23 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Capellion 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • Author

r_sail

I tried to do this once somewhere else, and, like everyone was into it, but then I blew it on getting it going… so, I’m not sure I’m the one to head it up, but is anyone interested in doing a traveling sketchbook? Maybe a Japanese folding one… or just a regular sketchbook or or or…?

April 20, 2009 at 7:51 pm #35754

Nick Powell

What do you mean? like do a drawing etc then send it on?

I have always wondered where they end up.I am afraid I am not up to your standard of work yet so would feel a bit reticent about saying yes! But to be able to see peoples actual works for real in your sweaty palm would be a great temptation!

There is one thats from Moleskinerie doing the rounds I think, or was it something to do with the Detour exhibition?

Great idea good luck with it.What about Joe Tomlinson or Susan Rudat or Rob they are more in your league!

April 21, 2009 at 6:50 am #35755

r_sail

No worries about being in the same “league.” It’s all art or sketches or whatever… Mostly, I think it’s a cool thing to do, but every time I try to get involved with one it’s full and the wait is longer than I can keep focused on.

I suspect they end up with whoever started the book… at least that’s what I’d do.

April 21, 2009 at 7:56 pm #35756

Nick Powell

How about seeing if there is anyone interested.If your happy to I’ll give it a go!

Thats 2!!!

May 1, 2009 at 2:06 pm #35761

Mattman1111

It’s a good idea. I’ve seen the Moly exchange stuff online. Not sure how it works, but here are some thoughts:

To be fair, participants need to give and receive.

You really need to get a group together (the list). Each sends a book to the next on the list. Maybe 2 weeks between contributors. By the time it does a full circuit, everyone gets their book back with art from every other person on the list.

If you divide the number oif pages between each artist you would end up with several pages of art from each person.

My work is only at an early stage but I’d be happy to participate in a test cycle. The cost to each person would be one moleskine, postage x members, time, enthusiasm, effort, decency.

Anyone want to play?

May 1, 2009 at 5:57 pm #35762

Nick Powell

I am up for it as I have said before. but we need more skinners!!

May 4, 2009 at 10:51 am #35770

amdovsen

I’ll do it too, sounds like fun.

May 4, 2009 at 8:18 pm #35771

Nick Powell

Keep checking back here its gonna take a while to get enough people together,Then we will have to work out a way of getting in contact off site without telling the world and his wife our email addresses!!

Welcome aboard Amdovsen.

How many do we need? We will not be able to fill a whole sketch book at a double page piece each.

What size book we going for small? [for postage purposes]

May 6, 2009 at 2:38 pm #35773

plasma_girl

I am fascinated by this idea; I would love to be a part of such a thing!

May 7, 2009 at 11:36 pm #35774

r_sail

I figured a pocket size book or postage sake. I like them the most anyway.

May 9, 2009 at 8:58 am #35775

Nick Powell

5 so far!

How are we going to get in touch off board folks?

Because this is going to take some organizing names addresses etc. A circulated list via email using a temp email address to start perhaps? No one will want personal details or emails posted on the web.

No way of doing it through this web site is there?

Some sites have a private message facility but I must say that I have not seen anything like that here so far.I will do a bit of research into how other traveling sketch books work and try to tease out the easiest way of doing it. Deadlines for posting forward to the next on the chain etc.

R-sail may have some idea on this thinking about it, he has looked into doing it in the past.

Any ideas?

Pocket sized is fine with me.

May 9, 2009 at 10:36 pm #35776

r_sail

email me @ write_terminal @ hotmail .com

at your convenience of course. We’ll need more people so, no hurry.

May 14, 2009 at 8:53 pm #35777

renefijten

Sounds nice, love to participate.

Actually, Marty Harris, also on ‘skine, organises these things, moly-x. You send around the books, and keep each other posted through blogger pages. I already am in one of those, nr 58.

I can tell you, it is exciting to do, but you need a lot of patience. One of the books arrived from Peru after 4 months, that’s not what we’re used to in these internet days.

But it’s a thrill to react on someone elses drawings, it has forced me to choose subjects and try styles different than what I normally do.

Moly-x can be found on:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/moly_x/discuss/72157617402990305/

May 15, 2009 at 8:54 pm #35780

Nick Powell

r_sail

I tried the email address a couple of days ago any joy?

May 19, 2009 at 12:08 am #35788

I would love to be a part of this. Just tell me what to do. I have a store and I keep a large variety of Moleskines in stock at all times. I would be happy to contribute if needed. You can reach me at cynthia@journalingarts.com.

May 19, 2009 at 9:23 pm #35789

r_sail

Nick, I haven’t had a chance to chheck that account…

May 20, 2009 at 6:26 pm #35790

Nick Powell

No problem just let me know when you do.

May 21, 2009 at 12:42 pm #35791

szaza

Hey— I’m a member of Moly-X, the International Moleskine Exchange, which as was mentioned earlier, Marty Harris founded. It’s exactly what you were thinking of, a travelling sketchbook using a Japanese folding Moleskine. Here’s how I suggest you get started:

Set up a Flickr account here:

http://www.flickr.com

* Once you have your account, join the group moly_x: international moleskine exchange.

Here’s a link to the group’s Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/groups/moly_x/

* Click on the link at the top called “Join this Group?” and follow the instructions.

* Once you are a member, you will be able to post to the topics that are being discussed, most of which are people asking for artists to join their exchange, or fellow artists that are searching for a group to join.

If you are feeling bold and don’t want to join a group that is recruiting, look through the pool of images or “Members” section and find some artists you’d like to exchange with. It’s a good idea to do a little research and get in with a group with artists you like. If you plan on starting your own group instead of joining someone else’s, my advice is to be patient and persistent. Joining a group that is starting will be easiest and you can find out about them by reading the posts under “Discussion.”

Also, if you enjoy portraiture, there is a portrait exchange starting that is really fun— everyone draws a self portrait and the portrait of the book’s owner. This is the portrait group that I belong to, Moly-X Portrait Exchange 1: http://mxportraits1.blogspot.com/

I am part of eight exchanges at the moment, and find it loads of fun— my drawing skills have also improved as an added benefit. Once you have established an exchange group, let Marty know (he’s one of the administrators listed on the Flickr group page) that you’re ready for a blog. He’ll assign you a number and set up your blog through which you will communicate with your exchange members and others that drop by to check out your work. Then you buy your Mollies and get started.

I highly recommend getting involved in Moly-X, I’ve made some great friends, plus it opens you up to seeing tonnes of art by other artists that you might miss if you formed your own thing here. Just a thought. And you can always get advice from exchange veterans such as myself on what to do if… situations. Sometimes the post will be slow when sending to other countries, but you have to expect that. The rest of the world doesn’t run like clockwork.

Also check out the blog Moly-X Life: http://molyxlife.blogspot.com/ that was just recently started to connect the artists of Moly-X.

Best of luck!

May 21, 2009 at 10:35 pm #35792

r_sail

Right on, thanks for posting that!

May 28, 2009 at 11:24 pm #35798

i would be interested…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.