'skine.art Twitter page RSS Amazon Wishlist 'skine.art Facebook page Moleskine Art Facebook group 'skine.art on Kindle
home | interviews | contributors | shop | faq
login or register to submit your art
MattiasBanner

Site suggestions/Feedback

Home Forums Site Support and site related Site suggestions/Feedback

Tagged: 

This topic contains 45 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  roseindigo 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 46 total)
  • Author

benji

Have any suggestions on how to make the site better? Post them here.

Thanks!

April 16, 2008 at 1:38 am #35520

Pinkjasper

Listen, I have a suggestion, but I don’t know how it would play out. I know what you mean about art not being good or bad, and every child with a purple crayon is expressing himself…I just wish that the artwork on this site would remain as good as it is now. All art is “good” but the caliber of the artwork currently on display is so HIGH (you have to understand what I’m talking about). Soon everyone and their mother is going to be posting doodles. Really, we already have a Flickr. I don’t know where you rounded these people up but the quality and professionalism right now is amazing. Right now I’m excited and look in every DAY. If you don’t have a way of measuring objective standards, half of it will be crap, and I won’t care anymore and you’ll have a different audience altogether.

April 16, 2008 at 3:19 am #35521

benji

Hi Pinkjasper,

Thanks very much for your input. While I understand your concern about maintaining the quality of the artwork on the site, it would be very difficult for me to apply any sort of moderation standard by which to publish certain submissions and not others. I could not claim to be the arbiter of good art. I would also certainly not want to reject a post and dash the hopes of a budding young artist.

With all that said, I do concede that there will probably be a time when such moderation becomes a necessity. One way to work around this could be to show ‘featured’ artwork on the front page and all other recent submissions on secondary pages (think break.com).

We could also conceivably implement a user-rating system on the site whereby posts below a certain rating threshold would be hidden. However, the rating system itself should not become a detractor to people posting their art, thus defeating the initial purpose of this site which is to encourage everyone to showcase their artwork.

It would be great to have other users’ opinions on this.

April 16, 2008 at 6:07 pm #35522

Rudat

Hey guys, I agree with all of your dicussions and suggestions. I would not want to disapoint and budding young (or older) artist either. Would it work at all to have “featured” and smaller thumbnails? I like the idea of ratings…although there has not been much in the way of comments yet. Sorta like the silent observation in a museum. I’m glad to see this site is catching on. I personally LOVE looking at art.

April 16, 2008 at 7:37 pm #35525

benji

Yes, a lot of lurkers here it seems. :)

Ok, going back to the moderation discussion, I would like everyone’s opinion on this.

Somebody submitted a post today that seemed a little suspicious to me. There was no description, no links to any website and the image is kinda… risqué. I originally chose to publish the post but upon second thought, I didn’t feel like this was a valid submission so it was removed. I am posting the image on a page so people can judge and decide if it should be posted or not.

Page removed

April 17, 2008 at 12:56 am #35527

RdEoSg

I am one of those people that lacks much talent but loves to draw anyways. I am trying to learn and draw every day. Luckily for the rest of you, I do have a filter and recognize that my abilities are not up the rest of yours, so I have only submitted one drawing so far… which btw, was submitted two hours ago and still not up :P maybe I got shot down already!

I can understand the problem of crap showing up. I happen to be a photographer by trade and get so sick of great photography websites being destroyed by all of the family snapshots that show up instead.

My fiancee is rodia who made another post here about daily limits. I guess it would be one way to at least limit the amount of stuff to show up from less talented artists. If they can only put up 3-5 a day at least it wouldn’t be on the front page for long.

Another thing to consider is how many people would post their junk here anyways. I made the decision to only submit one item because I feel the rest of my work isn’t of the proper standard. One of the photo sites I hang out is for Alt photos. They don’t regulate what is posted, but they do stress that the site is for alternative photography, that if you want to post pretty flower pictures and your baby eating his first spaghetti, that flickr is better for you. To be honest the quality of work there is very high with thousands of members!

Most people are self-conscious. They don’t want to stand out. If you have a whole site of top notch stuff, I am not sure that people with talent like myself would be trying to post a dozen drawings anyways. I’d look very out of place and a fool ;)

April 17, 2008 at 5:08 am #35528

Pinkjasper

I am an artist, though I don’t have as much draftsmanship as I would like and I do really good paintings in between. I do like the ratings idea but I like what you’re saying too. Come right and tell them: Do they feel it’s serious work? Otherwise Flickr might be more appropriate. I wonder how long this site has even been up with this being hashed out. Were they afraid that not enough really good artwork would come in? It’s already speeding up and it can’t have been 2 weeks. I guess I’m not very patient, if I had to comb through images that weren’t all that good I would give up PDQ. The rate is already increasing. Also these poor young artists being discouraged–they can start their own blog. Can the “New Yorker” print every short story that comes through the door? Flickr is a free for all, if they want to do the same here, hopefully someone will have an online gallery that’s a little more choosey. Because it’s needed.

April 17, 2008 at 8:24 am #35529

MattiasA

the Moleskineproject has had a rating system, (this site has had problem with erratic postings though) Personally I’m not perfectly at ease with being rated.

On thing that could be interesting is perhaps to have a profile section, where one artist a week is interviewed, sometimes this kind of sites tend to be rather unpersonal.

I also think there has to be some moderation otherwise the amount of artwork tend to be to large, if only to just let artist post one spread at a time.

April 17, 2008 at 12:04 pm #35530

rohdesign

Quick thought — images should link to the permalink pages. Right now it appears that when clicked, main page images simply open the image being stored on the server.

April 17, 2008 at 12:10 pm #35531

rohdesign

I’m with Mattias on not implementing a ranking/rating system. It changes the dynamic of the site.

I’m involved in LogoPond.com which used to have star ratings, which got out of hand, because a few “griefers” would always give works 1 star as an annoyance to the creators. I felt that it also started to breed an unhealthy sort of competitiveness where it really wasn’t needed. In the end the ratings were removed and it made life much better at LogoPond IMO.

I also love Mattias’ idea for an interview area. I’m fascinated with artists here and would love a concise way to learn more about them, their work, and why they do what they do.

April 17, 2008 at 11:11 pm #35535

benji

I like the interview area suggestion as well. This would be an excellent way to showcase the better artwork on the site.

April 17, 2008 at 11:23 pm #35536

Pinkjasper

Well ratings system or not I think they will have to do SOMETHING. You have to admit that the artwork on display right now on an ongoing basis is REALLY GREAT STUFF. Too, I was thinking about this earlier–Flickr is a much more complex website. You can scan small things very quickly and decide what you want to look at. Here, it’s more like being asked to look at one thing at a time (and it deserves it). I simply would not be inclined to wade through 10 things that really aren’t all that wonderful for 1 thing that’s as hot as almost all of what’s on here now. I don’t know how the quality has been kept up to this point. But if you invite anyone in the world with a digital camera to post whatever they want–I think if you expect this quality to remain without some changes it won’t pan out.

April 17, 2008 at 11:51 pm #35537

jenny

I have to agree with RdEoSg. I think on a site like this with such high quality artwork, not too many people will want to post anything mediocre. Look at me, I haven’t posted anything because I don’t want to bring down the quality here. I am in awe of the work being posted thus far and until I feel like I have something worthy to contribute, I’m not going to torture you guys. Sure, there might be one off art here and there, but for the most part, I believe the quality will remain high because of the initial standards set by great artists. I say we worry about quality if/when we have to, but for now, let’s just enjoy. We’ll just boo and hiss the “bad art” to discourage it. . .j/k!

Benji, I can’t wait to see some interviews of these incredible artists on this site. This is a great place for me to hang out during the day when I get bored at work. :)

For now, I will remain a lurker.

April 18, 2008 at 5:59 am #35540

oO

I personally think that website such as this one, should actually be highly moderated rather than not. One of the things that makes the internet interesting, is that there is always a way for anything to be posted “somewhere” so the idea that all websites should accept all posts is not a valid one.

I for one believe in “curating” a website, where someone (or a group of people) can decide what is appropriate to post or not. I’m also one of the moderators on http://www.notcot.org and one of the challenges is to actually decide what to post or not. Rejection is actually a good thing for an artist, and it’s not as if you can’t get exposure somewhere else anyway.

Don’t think of it so much as being an arbiter of good or bad taste, but make the website a reflection of “your” taste and keep the quality high

April 18, 2008 at 9:38 am #35543

Madzia Bryll

I’ve been wondering about the Top Contributors system, and whether it will be a good idea in the long run. I’ve caught myself thinking, wah, I’m nowhere near the top of that list- that’s not a good attitude if you want to post art and not just spam. Granted, almost everyone on that list wins with every single post they make, but how long will that remain the happy coincidence it is?

In theory the site is already filtered, since only moleskine art is allowed (I assume?), but moleskines are becoming more and more popular, and soon that won’t be enough to guarantee the amount of posts per day remains manageable- for the viewer, I mean.

I agree with people who talk about a showcase system, possibly to replace the Top Contributors…

As to people moderating themselves, I’ll disagree with Rdeosg (sorry, dude:P) and Jenny- you guys might be able to control yourselves, but I, for example, am not. I’ve posted a bunch of drawings that look mediocre next to the other amazing stuff on this site. I’m proud of them, they’re not half-assed doodles, but if you asked me whether they bring down the quality, I would say, yes.

I am not a good lurker. Having the opportunity to show my drawings in such excellent company makes me feel like I can camouflage as a real artist for a while, perhaps improve in the process. Act like I know what the hell I’m doing. I’m sure there are plenty other mediocre artists who will feel just the same, and will have no problem posting their pictures here, since there are no restrictions.

So maybe restrictions are needed. I’m not sure in what form, though.

April 19, 2008 at 4:32 pm #35548

Pinkjasper

It’s me again, the j/k! Since I’m mostly alone on this I will just say this once. If you think a vague presentiment that only great artists are allowed to post on this website will stem the flow and keep this in check I think you’re wrong. Especially when it is very clear that the situation is otherwise. “Anyone may post anything here”. You can lay back and enjoy it if you want to, in 3 months or 6 the situation will not be under control and this website will spiral downwards. You may not believe in “bad art” which means you are not taking the same classes I am. I am a very good artist, and most of my own work IS bad. I have nothing but support for “mediocre” artists who are likely not bad at all. I’m not some high art/low art j/k and if you knew me at all you would find that comical in the extreme. I think it’s a little like a director of a movie–someone has to make the decisions, someone has to edit. Even giving us the impression that it’s a group decision may be bad logic. When I was in a political science class we were given an assignment: To decide the best way to make chocolate chip cookies. A violent argument broke out within 10 minutes. Benji needs to decide if he wants to make raisin cookies or oatmeal cookies. Saying, “Let’s just enjoy this until the smoke detectors go off” may not be the best course, esp. if you or I have no vested interest in manning this site on a day-to-day basis. And clearly when we’re in a position to say things like “I myself am not comfortable having my work rated” you’re in a situation where you’re likely to be treated very fairly and pretty expansively and relying on THAT may work; relying on everyone in the Western world to make even cursory judgements about the quality of their own work or to agree to any limits at all that have not been preset for them probably WONT. For some reason people seem to believe there are no objective standards about art (even a simple standard like Benji’s personal preferences which he clearly views as inappropriate) when they would be more than willing to agree that there are bad novels, unskilled muscians, or burnt cookies. It’s not that I care HOW. But this isn’t a very complex website and the filtering needs to come from somewhere or else you’re going to have a mess.

April 20, 2008 at 5:13 am #35550

jenny

Rodia, I happen to like your art and don’t find it “mediocre.” I especially like the cat drawing where you captured not just a moment, but a mood.

Pinkjasper, dude you ramble too much. Are you writing in a stream of consciousness or what? . . .and I doubt you will “just say it once.” :P

April 20, 2008 at 7:10 pm #35552

Madzia Bryll

I’ve got a long way to go, and I know it. But thanks. :) I’m just using myself as an example- it’s not bad but it’s not quite there. And get enough people like that in here and it’s just another messy site…

April 20, 2008 at 10:19 pm #35553

Rudat

Benji needs an avatar!

April 21, 2008 at 1:39 am #35555

Pinkjasper

I like it too. Very much. I have thus far liked EVERYTHING here. And no I will not say it again. I know I was rambling too much but I was getting it out of my system as I never intend to weigh in on the subject again. I’m sorry, I was pissed off, and I’m not pissed off anymore

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.