'skine.art Twitter page RSS Amazon Wishlist 'skine.art Facebook page Moleskine Art Facebook group 'skine.art on Kindle
home | interviews | contributors | shop | faq
login or register to submit your art
MattiasBanner

My recent efforts using Moleskine Books

Home Forums General Discussion My recent efforts using Moleskine Books

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Uncle Bob 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Uncle Bob

Thanks to all who kindly posted comments or favourited my recent efforts. I’ve been using a Moleskine sketchbook for a few years but not in this way. May I explain! A couple of years ago I received a Moleskine as part of a Chrismas gift. Since I already had lots of sketchbooks I decided to try something different. I trawled the ‘net for a wide variety of poems and copied them into the book, leaving lots of space. Now, when I go out, I look for subject matter to match the poems and, if I find anything, try to complement the prose with sketches. I now have around fifty pieces with space for around thirty more. Examples are The Scott Monument in Edinburgh to match McGonagall’s poem describing the city, or a sketch of a sailing ship(obtained during a visit to Eyemouth Harbour) to sit beside John Masefield’s “Sea Fever”. It’s good fun and encourages the habit of sketching regularly. My ambition is to visit Dublin to sketch the statue of Patrick Kavenagh, near Baggot Street, to sit beside his “Raglan Road”. I suppose that, since joining this site, I will now have to carry two Moleskins, one for the poetry and one for other sketches.

March 1, 2009 at 7:23 pm #35653

Nicholas

I carry around three moleskines myself, one for notes, and two sketchbooks– one for pen and diagrams, and the other for watercolor. I wouldn’t hesitate to paste up anything there

I always thought that moleskines are whatever you wanted it to be (you need not look any further than the many DIY moleskines out there to know this), so while your paintings are already awesome in themselves– as part of a mix that includes poetry, that’d be nothing less than sublime. I’d suppose that fits the description of “mixed media” very nicely. ;)

March 9, 2009 at 4:12 pm #35655

Uncle Bob

Thank, Nicholas. I had forgotten about this forum topic and stumbled across it again when looking for something else. I’m quite amazed at how my collection of Moleskines has built up. Since I got the one, described above, I have filled in, or am in the process of filling in, another thiteen of the things and have used them for a variety of different stuff – as you describe. I’m not at the stage of carrying around three but tend to use a small or large watercolour for day to day sketches and, when going on holiday, my boys have developed the habit of getting me “City” ones as a gift. Incidentally, I did return to Dublin and found my Patrick Kavenagh statue, making several sketches. One day I’ll get around to posting a “tidied up” effort on the site. Good of you to comment favourably on my stuff. Bob McDowall

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.