'skine.art Twitter page RSS Amazon Wishlist 'skine.art Facebook page Moleskine Art Facebook group 'skine.art on Kindle
home | interviews | contributors | shop | faq
login or register to submit your art
MattiasBanner

MONTHLY THEME CHALLENGE

Home Forums General Discussion MONTHLY THEME CHALLENGE

Tagged: 

This topic contains 70 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  plasma_girl 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 71 total)
  • Author

Uncle Bob

The Monthly Theme was started to encourage use of the Forums section of this site. Every month, Moleskiners are invited to submit a piece of their artwork based on a specific title. It’s great fun and gets the creative juices flowing. There are no prizes, just the sheer satisfaction of having taken part. We do, however, need lots of suggestions for future themes and we also hope that many users will participate. This is the place to send your ideas to.

All ideas will be gratefully received and they will be entered into a monthly draw, the one chosen will be used for the next month’s theme. If many ideas are received then a wider variety should result. Please support this by sending ideas. Here are a few to start:

“Wish you were here”

“My best friend”

“Its broken!”

“Who was that masked man?”

July 5, 2009 at 6:06 pm #35904

plasma_girl

Some ideas off the top of my head:

“Into the wild”

“Midnight”

“A new beginning”

“Afternoon”

July 5, 2009 at 6:34 pm #35905

Uncle Bob

Well done! Now there are eight to choose from.

July 6, 2009 at 3:47 pm #35906

roseindigo

Things found while walking

Famous

Coat of Arms for Yourself

Change

Favorite Holiday

July 6, 2009 at 4:29 pm #35907

Uncle Bob

Thank you Rose.

July 7, 2009 at 2:43 am #35909

here are a few more… maybe:

raw

what?

ouch

smile

oops

July 7, 2009 at 9:06 am #35910

Uncle Bob

Well done Joe!

July 17, 2009 at 7:34 pm #35913

Nick Powell

Here are a couple more for the jam jar.

“End of the line.”

“Power.”

July 18, 2009 at 8:10 am #35915

Uncle Bob

Thanks Nick. That brings the total up to 20 but it would be great if we have more from a wider range of people since the odds of me picking one of mine or yours are still very small. (Not that there would be anything wrong with picking one of yours – he hastily added). As to the overall idea;to get more use of the “Forums”, I wondered if there was some way of pushing this along. Perhaps there might be a need to start another thread which follows up a month’s submissions. This could announce the “winner” and maybe ask for comments which could either ellicit information from that person (i.e. “What did you have in mind when you started to paint it?,”How did you achieve that particular effect?”, whatever. The rest of us – the “non-winners”, might be willing to respond with comments – even if they commented on the actual post initially. The effect would be to get more use out of this part of the site. What do you think? Would you be willing to give this a thought and, perhaps start something? I’ll initiate the “Draw” towards the end of this month and announce the winner in the usual way. Bob

July 25, 2009 at 3:33 am #35922

Capellion

I’m rather new to the site (with only one submission, which is currently in review limbo *crosses fingers*), and I have to say this topic is an amazing idea and I can’t fathom why there are only 20 responses/titles.

“diversity”

“the BUMP in the night”

“on the underground”

“there!!”

“smells like old books”

“biomorphic machine”

“good kindling”

“lollipop”

“the knife’s edge”

“visualizing a headache”

“reinvention”

“only in dreams”

“got a feeling”

I’ll leave it there for now, but I’m sure I will think of others as time goes on. I’ll make sure to jot them down somewhere (like in a moleskine?!) so I can post them when I am online again.

July 25, 2009 at 1:44 pm #35923

Uncle Bob

Hi Capellion. This is good of you to increase the variety of themes for our monthly soiree. I’ll be drawing next month’s challenge out of the “jar” sometime next week and this will be announced in a similar way to this month’s. With this marvellous response there must be a good chance it will be one of your own.

There may be a couple of reasons why there are, as yet, so few responses in this section. Maybe people just don’t visit the “forums” section of this website. The Monthly Challenge was set up to encourage folk to do so. Perhaps, also, because the thing is fairly new it hasn’t had a chance to get going yet. The good thing is, you have found your way here. I am sure I speak for everyone when I say we are looking forward to your entry next month. Thanks again – Bob McDowall

July 26, 2009 at 3:40 am #35929

keeper of the jar, here are a few more:

abandoned

one man’s trash is another man’s…

found

lost

discarded

is it cheating if these are things that could be the theme to my rapidly filling moleskine?

July 26, 2009 at 5:03 am #35930

Capellion

Mr. Tomlinson, if we are adding topics to the jar that fit with your current moleskine theme, then consider the following (which, in any case, should be sufficient challenge themes in their own right):

“bleak”

“deprivation”

“solitude”

“into disrepair”

“rubble”

“remains of a material revolution”

“S.O.S”

July 26, 2009 at 9:45 am #35931

Uncle Bob

Well done folks! 45 to choose from now.

July 28, 2009 at 4:06 am #35932

Pinkjasper

I’m not a contributor yet but I had a couple of ideas. One would be: Something spilled. Or: My keychain.

Another would be to paint the “inner world” without looking at any outside objects.

July 28, 2009 at 6:23 am #35934

Nick Powell

sorry only just spotted your comments of a week ago Bob a follow up thread is a good idea for each month in some form or other, I will give it some thought, post and then wait for comment!

July 28, 2009 at 10:11 am #35935

Uncle Bob

Great Sophie but, you ARE a contributor as you have contributed comments many times. Thanks for the ideas. These have been added to the jar

July 28, 2009 at 10:13 am #35936

Uncle Bob

Good of you to take this on Nick. Let me know if I can help in any way. I’ll “draw” next month’s challenge on Thursday (Scottish time)

July 28, 2009 at 2:22 pm #35938

Lots of great ideas do far. Hmmm, this is what comes to mind:

What if?

I didn’t do it!

What’s that smell?

If they only knew. . .

My favorite rocks.

Things sitting on my desk right now.

All things dog.

Favorite TV personalities.

What music looks like.

July 28, 2009 at 4:35 pm #35939

Uncle Bob

Thank you for these Journalingarts. That’s 57 now.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 71 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.