'skine.art Twitter page RSS Amazon Wishlist 'skine.art Facebook page Moleskine Art Facebook group 'skine.art on Kindle
home | interviews | contributors | shop | faq
login or register to submit your art
MattiasBanner

lack of interest in forums!

Home Forums Site Support and site related lack of interest in forums!

Tagged: 

This topic contains 72 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Mattman1111 4 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • Author

Nick Powell

Thanks to Susan and Ed for their comments!

I agree with Susan about the main thing being the art work, the forums are only a secondary part of the site.The point is that they could be much more useful as a method of exchange of ideas etc.Their increased use would lead to inspiration for some and a way of improving techniques for others and it may encourage others to experiment.

The bottom line is that if no one looks at the forums once in a while they are pretty redundant and a missed opportunity for all.

As I said am not a forum junkie but I can see they can be useful informative and even fun.

I think Ed is probably right in his post on the chance of abusive comments being few and far between, we moleskiners would not sink to such depths!!!

What about the themes Idea? Not right for some ,but for others it could be the catalyst that inspires them to do something.

I also thank Leo for all his hard work in keeping this site up and running,This discussion is in no way a criticism of that, use of the forum is up to the contributers.

March 26, 2009 at 4:27 am #35680

wow, good to see a stir in the forums area! love the thoughts you all are having. i really like the idea of a weekly theme, sometimes i get in a rut, and this could get the creative juices flowing for me… would it be okay for someone to just mention here in the forum a theme, and the rest roll with it. a first come first topic for those who choose to partake? sometimes it seems as if there is a theme that shows up with no one mentioning it. anyway i’ve rambled on enough, i have some clay to shape. i’ll draw some new stuff soon, but will visit again even sooner.

March 26, 2009 at 7:14 pm #35684

Nick Powell

Thanks for your input Joseph.

How about someone stars it off [R_sail says he has a mass of ideas].We all post with the same title then the one with most fovourite hearts by the end of the week or month chooses the next theme from a list or comes up with his or her own.

I agree about being stuck in a rut,most of the time I am to tired after a days work to think straight let alone come up with an interesting or original idea for a piece of art!!!

I often feel if only someone would say here you go try doing something on this.

By the way love your style its really sharp and so distinctive puts me to shame.

March 26, 2009 at 8:42 pm #35686

Ed Buziak

It occurs to me that whilst a weekly/monthly theme is a good, probably stimulating idea, to mix these results in with regular uploads from those not wishing to participate in this idea – those who are more comfortable doing their own thing (maybe the majority), or whose style simply doesn’t lend itself to a certain theme no matter how they try to interpret it – is probably not such a good idea. Perhaps it would be fairly easy to add a button with the others atop the page entitled “Challenge” which would link to a landing page just for this regular hot-shot challenge. Any similar thoughts?

March 26, 2009 at 9:11 pm #35687

r_sail

we can use the tags… decide on a specific tag such as “them” or “challenge” or some such, as well as tagging each entry with the specific theme word…? That’s all we can do on our end. Anything Leo wants to do is fine, but none of us can change the site.

I’ll work on the list when I get home from work tonight.

March 27, 2009 at 6:31 am #35688

Ed Buziak

Sure, I realized that. It only takes a few clicks or minutes of typing code to make a new landing page. I have few computing skills – years ago I learned basic HTML code just to have an understanding of the system, although I never had to use it.

The problem for Leo may be bandwidth… an increase in traffic or pages may tip this site over his bandwidth limit for the tariff he’s being charged. However, I’m still inclined to think that a new page for the Challenge would be a more elegant solution… but, whatever the outcome, I’ll be in there sparring with my paintbrush and pencil!

March 27, 2009 at 8:15 am #35689

r_sail

I think separating it is probably a worse idea, really. It’ll end up like the forums… just tag it, add whatever description you like and leave it at that. That’s my thoughts on it anyway. No reason to ask anything of Leo.

March 27, 2009 at 8:35 am #35690

Nick Powell

Personally I don’t mind either solution.The separation as Ed says would be less confusing for visitors and contributers and may add an additional feature to the site rather than it all being a bit jumbled up.

Can we get in touch with Leo and sound him out on the technical feasibility from his point of view IE. band width etc. Even does he want to be doing all this?

Maybe someone else could become a moderator of that section if he does not want the work?

I am not very savvy on all the technical side so lets try and speak to “the man”!

I think Susan Rudat may have contacted him in the past.

March 27, 2009 at 12:10 pm #35691

Rudat

I contacted Leo, “The Man” to have a look at this forum. Personally, I agree with r_sail. Just tagging a themed submission should be sufficient. But that’s just my opinion.

March 30, 2009 at 6:38 pm #35694

r_sail

sorry guys, it’s been a long week, and a couple of crazy nights, but I’m working on the list today…

March 30, 2009 at 6:58 pm #35695

Uncle Bob

Take your time. Don’t kill yourself. More people have already contributed to this page than most others so the initial aim, in a strange way, is being achieved.

March 30, 2009 at 7:38 pm #35696

Nick Powell

Any chance of you contacting Leo Susan and getting him to take a look at this thread and pass on his comments to us?

How do the tags work?put for example ‘theme’ and all ‘theme’tagged submissions come up?

March 30, 2009 at 7:41 pm #35697

Nick Powell

Just answered my own dumb question by trying it out!!! Sorry folks!

March 30, 2009 at 9:58 pm #35698

r_sail

Heh! Yeah, which is why I figured tagging the entries would be the same as a separate section, without separating it from the main site.

March 30, 2009 at 10:28 pm #35699

Rudat

I contacted Leo last week, apparently no response. I vote for the tag idea too.

April 2, 2009 at 1:36 pm #35706

Leo

Hi, ‘skiners!

Just when I was thinking about getting rid of the forum due to the lack of activity…

I apologize for not replying in timely manner, and promise to be better.

Great ideas, guys! Let’s get cranking, shall we?

1. To kick off the forum – those willing to volunteer some time as moderators – please raise you hand.

2. Ideas for weekly/monthly theme challenges – let’s hear it.

3. Contests! There is a stash of cool prizes waiting for you. Contest ideas?

4. Tagging themed challenges should be sufficient. Each tag would create pages like this: http://www.skineart.com/art/tag/running/

5. If you’re not seeing your posts published – it’s most likely due to the fact that there’s no image in the post. Just make sure that your upload is successful (you know it when you see a preview in the submission form).

One again wow and thank you!

Leo.

April 2, 2009 at 6:09 pm #35709

r_sail

Leo!

I’ll happily offer my moderation abilities… I don’t imagine it’ll be needed much, but I’m on the site practically every day, so.

-theme challenges: As I said, I’ve been working on a list of 80-ish words to be interpreted… trying to make a list that works for everyone, be it figurative work, landscape, abstract, whatever. Kinda tough… but working on it.

-contest ideas, I’ll have to think about it.

thanks for getting back to us. Don’t be such a stranger :)

April 3, 2009 at 9:07 pm #35711

Uncle Bob

I’ll help with moderation although I’ll have to be clear on what’s required in case I make a hash of things. Not known as “Big Feet Bob” for nothing!

April 3, 2009 at 9:25 pm #35712

Nick Powell

Great, news from Leo.

Bit hard to give a prize for the themed thing using the faved hearts because you can fave your own stuff,maybe a temptation if prizes are involved!

I would also like to know what was involved with the moderation ,Being self employed with two kids tends to make me time poor in the evenings Hence my sparse postings!!!

but let me know whats required and I may take a step forward!

At size fifteen my feet are bound to be bigger than yours Bob!!

This is sounding good to me.

This site is getting some rave reviews all over the place on the net.

April 4, 2009 at 12:58 am #35715

r_sail

Rave reviews? Where?

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 73 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.