'skine.art Twitter page RSS Amazon Wishlist 'skine.art Facebook page Moleskine Art Facebook group 'skine.art on Kindle
home | interviews | contributors | shop | faq
login or register to submit your art
MattiasBanner

July challenge.

Home Forums General Discussion July challenge.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 24 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  plasma_girl 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Nick Powell

Anybody willing to carry on? we had a pretty good response last month [june].

June 27, 2009 at 5:25 pm #35867

Nick Powell

First to post were MATT L, Trebor61 and Kode 9, on the same day so how about one of them chooses the theme? Who ever got most faves would be my way of sorting out who got it out of the three.

What do you think folks?

Or do you want to let whoever got most faves during the month choose? This would give a very small reward for “winning” if you want to call it that.

In that time honoured phrase its the taking part that counts though!!!!

If you want to go down this route we will see what happens at the end of the month and set a new theme early in July.

Just posted my own entry today 27 June bit late this month.

June 27, 2009 at 6:20 pm #35868

Uncle Bob

Hi Nick. Not too bothered one way or another but lets keep this thing going. Maybe the most faves should get to choose.

June 27, 2009 at 8:54 pm #35869

Matt L

so who DID get the most faves anyways?

June 27, 2009 at 9:03 pm #35870

Nick Powell

Dont know yet it will have to run until the end of the month to find out, easy enough to keep track just enter Sanctuary in the search box and all the entries will appear then just take a look.

Rob didnt know that you were now on the staff as a moderator, when did this come about? I noticed you changed your avatar a while back.

Are you not bothered about the theme or who chooses and how we choose?

June 27, 2009 at 10:25 pm #35871

roseindigo

I’m fine with the first three entries getting to choose. Besides, my favorite was Trebor’s mother and child and I loved Matt’s library. Can’t tell you how many times that’s been my sanctuary.

June 28, 2009 at 7:56 am #35872

Uncle Bob

Nick – I’m a bit confused. Are you confusing me with Rob (Carey). I did change my avator recently as I thought the original photo was awful but I’m not on the staff as a moderator. When I said that I was not bothered about the theme, please don’t think I’ve given up. I merely meant that I would fall into line with the wishes of others.

Cheers Bob

June 28, 2009 at 9:11 am #35873

Nick Powell

Sorry bob but under your avatar it says moderator? the rest of us are just members! Thanks for your support.

Will wait for a few more comments possibly to get a consensus on the method of who gets to choose.

June 28, 2009 at 9:48 am #35874

Uncle Bob

You are right, Nick. It does say “Moderator”. I never noticed that before. Can’t wait to start drawing my salary. He! He!

June 28, 2009 at 3:59 pm #35875

Leo

Bob, Bob, Bob…

DRAWING your salary? You know counterfeiting is a major felony, right?

June 29, 2009 at 11:04 am #35876

Uncle Bob

Ah! Its taken a while but I get it. DRAWING!!! Good to know you folks in the States have a keen sense of humour. I would be OK though. We don’t have “felonies” in Scotland. Only crimes like murder.

June 30, 2009 at 7:43 pm #35878

Nick Powell

OK. you jokers!

We have roseindigo with 2 entries for June both with 20 faves!!

Of the three fastest who posted on the same day Kode9 got most faves with 12.

Joseph r Tomlinson got a very well deserved 15 for his sanctuary.

Personally roseindigo would get my vote to choose the July challenge, any thoughts on it folks? Maybe Leo [Admin] should make the decision.

By the way Leo how do you think this thing is working?

June 30, 2009 at 9:18 pm #35879

Leo

Nick,

I think it’s working out great. The best part is that it’s a member-initiated activity, and I don’t want to interfere and/or influence it too much. It’s taking its natural course and it’s fun. I definitely DO NOT want to be the one picking the winner.

The flaw of the “fave” system is that those who submit their entries first, have an advantage due to longer exposure. Maybe I can implement polls – to vote for the entries after-the-fact (independent of the “fave” system)?

June 30, 2009 at 10:15 pm #35880

plasma_girl

I definitely want to carry on with this; I’ve had fun so far and it’s nice having a specific theme to experiment with.

I’m fine with either the person with the top faves or the folks who posted first getting to choose. I really like how informal and free-flowing the first two challenges have been, so I’m reluctant to set anything in stone about who absolutely has to pick or limiting folks from making suggestions.

I think if someone has an idea they should feel free to suggest it here and then let the first posters or the person(s) with the most faves or some combination there-of make the final decision.

So far, everyone seems pretty chill and willing to embrace the creativity of the whole thing; and if someone has a suggestion, we’ve been pretty keen to play with it.

I guess I haven’t really narrowed anything down at all, but I do like the informality so far and I’d like to see that remain.

July 1, 2009 at 12:47 am #35882

roseindigo

Actually my mind is a blank as far as picking the theme is concerned—or I’d probably pick something that all of you hate, like doing a self-portrait. So may I make the suggestion that we just throw out ideas and then vote on them, and the favorite suggestion becomes the theme for the month. I agree with plasma-girl that I like the informality of it all instead of counting votes. So what say you?

I also realize that the more informal something is the more it could turn into a “hesitation to suggest anything thing”, so let’s get those ideas out there.

My suggestion: desserts

July 1, 2009 at 11:00 am #35883

Rudat

I vote desserts over self-portraits!

July 1, 2009 at 11:39 am #35886

Leo

Ahhhh, Susan… You’ve posted your snowcones one day too soon!

July 1, 2009 at 2:14 pm #35887

Uncle Bob

Lets go for desserts but to save us agonising over a theme each month here is a suggestion. Suppose a thread is opened where anyone can suggest themes for future use and a list created. This would build up a collection of possible themes which could be added to “forever.” There would be some sort of description in this thread explaining its function so that new participants would be able to understand the reason for it. I would be willing (if you guys trust me) to monitor this collection and write each proposed theme on a scrap of paper, place it in a jar and get someone, other than myself, to draw a scrap at the start of the month. I’d then announce this in the usual way. Any theme used would come out of the jar and therefore not be used again (unless someone else puts in an identical suggestion). Just a thought.

I’m not interested in who wins or gets the most “faves”. To me, this whole idea is to encourage participation in the forums section of the site. It seems to have worked already. Last night, in these parts, we had hot, sultry weather. This was not conducive to sleep and I was up at just after 2.00am (UK time) looking at the forums when Roseindigo’s comments appeared. I smiled as I imagined her in a wee log cabin, surrounded by tall pines and black bears sending her messages into the ether. (Sorry about the stereotyping, Rose). I am of the generation where we used to have to book transatlantic ‘phone call well in advance to speak to folk in the States yet here was someone, about one third of the world away, instantaneously communicating. This internet thingy is fantastic and I feel we have the opportunity to make it work better for us, to share our ideas and to learn from everyone.

July 1, 2009 at 3:46 pm #35888

roseindigo

Hahahahah, well, I don’t live in a log cabin, but I would like that very much, and if I ever get rich the first thing I will buy is a remote log cabin. But I am surrounded by tall pines and once in a while a bear does appear. And yes, I find the sort of instantaneous internet communication we are priviled to have endlessly fascinating. I often wonder what my dear departed father would have made of it.

Anyhow, I liked your idea, and I’m in favor of it. It keeps things informal but interesting.

It’s about 9 o’clock in the morning here, and today my dog and I are off to one of the high country lakes to see if we can find some bears (just kidding–I’ll really be looking for flowers).

July 1, 2009 at 6:08 pm #35889

Rudat

I like your idea too, Bob. Scrap paper in glass jars for the internet thingy is a great way to choose a monthly theme.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.