'skine.art Twitter page RSS Amazon Wishlist 'skine.art Facebook page Moleskine Art Facebook group 'skine.art on Kindle
home | interviews | contributors | shop | faq
login or register to submit your art
MattiasBanner

Help to push Moleskine for Portrait format books.

Home Forums General Discussion Help to push Moleskine for Portrait format books.

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Nikira 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Nikira

Check it out, please, and follow the link to join.

http://www.ninajohansson.se/2010/06/portrait-format-moleskine-anyone/

July 13, 2010 at 3:50 am #36492

chepablo

The wand is waved around the top hat twice, raps it hard once, and “Voila!”, a small portrait watercolor moleksine appears:

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/a6-sketch-book-for-watercolor-342584/

I have a few but haven’t used them yet since I wound up making a journal myself. My suggestion: buy yourself a sheet of your favorite watercolor paper, some thin wood (look in a craft story next to the balsa for the 3″ maple slats), and look up “Coptic binding”. You can make a beautiful journal in about an hour. It’s actually quite fun to make and you can have _exactly_ the paper you want. I prefer hot press WC paper which will never make it into a commercial journal.

July 15, 2010 at 4:18 am #36495

Nikira

Thank you so much, Chepablo. I bookmarked it and will get it as soon as I recover from my artstuff spree in Manhattan and Ebay. I really have no patience to do it myself, I am afraid I wont make it neat. But got Arches book and Fabriano to try. Please, let me know, when you’ll try it, how good is the paper. I use to like German Torshon blocks.

July 15, 2010 at 5:26 pm #36497

chepablo

Hi Nikira. I’ll try to remember but it may be some time before I get to it. Since you are buying Fabriano, I should say that my current favorite is their small Venezia notebook. It uses their Accademia line of paper which is quite good for WC.

As for making the journals yourself, I can only say that the Coptic binding is _easy_ yet elegant. Some willingness to sew is all it really requires and a rough edge should only give it more character. That said, we are all short on time so spending it on the things you most enjoy is important. I can understand focusing on your WC.

Off topic: JetPens just put up an Akashiya watercolor set that looks Gansai style. I would be interested to hear your opinion of it. If my memory serves me well, you are a big fan of the elusive Holbein ganai WCs.

July 16, 2010 at 4:32 am #36498

Nikira

Hi, Chepablo. Ha, I checked this set today in the morning to lift up my mood. It looks a lot like japanese paint, I got on Ebay sometime ago, but mine is in full pan, I liked mine, colors are bright and juicy, but something about Shin-Gansai by Holbein is different. Especially my 20-yearold set. Colors more muted, premixed into melancholic palette, 2 amazing colors flesh-pink and pastel- ochre absent in the new Shin-Gansai set. One of interesting colors in japanese sets is turquoise blue. My Fabriano is Acquarello Studio, 140 lbs. I think it would be good for Sepia. I should check Venezia. Now I have to sneak out to try new books in peace. :-)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.