'skine.art Twitter page RSS Amazon Wishlist 'skine.art Facebook page Moleskine Art Facebook group 'skine.art on Kindle
home | interviews | contributors | shop | faq
login or register to submit your art
MattiasBanner

creepy company advertising

Home Forums General Discussion creepy company advertising

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  roseindigo 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Pinkjasper

I love my notebooks as much as anyone but now instead of making people feel in league with Hemingway and the avant-guard…I just saw an ad on the Moleskine website. They said that they notbooks are “ultimately becoming an integral part of one’s personality”. I know it’s only an ad but it really kind of bothers me. It’s almost like I’m trying to keep using my brand notebooks and trying not to feel stupid because of MANY THINGS like this. I think the only way to save ourselves is to view this with some humor and laugh it off but I do think the company too often makes bizarre claims. It just bothers me and I wanted to say something about it.

July 17, 2009 at 11:13 am #35911

Uncle Bob

You are not being stupid at all Sophie. Companies selling their products have developed very subtle techniques to convince the likes of you and I that we cannot live without their stuff. You are so correct when you say that we should laugh off their claims but, of course, this is not always that easily done. Isn’t there a nagging doubt, in the background, that unless we conform to the power of advertising, we are somehow inadequate or lacking in something? My advise, when bothered with things, is to write down concerns on a piece of paper, put this in an envelope and lock it away. In a week or so, open up the envelope, read your note then destroy it. There is a good chance it won’t bother you again. Bob McD

July 17, 2009 at 7:27 pm #35912

Nick Powell

my problem is that I like things when they are not in the main stream, and I am afraid that the company wants them to be main stream! To maximize profit etc! Perfectly understandable,their advertising changes along with their growth into the mainstream and this can turn off those of us who like to think that they are using something unique and different or quirky! But by the time that happens the very people who started the craze start to become less important to the company because their sales are rocketing, and this is what is happening with moleskines, look how popular they have become and how many places you can get them now!The range is expanding etc etc.

They can claim what they like the bottom line is do you still enjoy owning and using one?

If the answer is yes then try and ignore the overblown advertising!!

Its a shame but one has to be realistic, its bound to happen with any good product, we anoraks cant keep it to ourselves for ever.

Nice idea Bob I might try that one

July 17, 2009 at 11:25 pm #35914

Pinkjasper

I think that is true that some of us were there all along, and then just buying something makes people feel cool. There’s a fad and then eventually the fad will decrease somewhat, and then hopefully we’ll be left with a good product (that doesn’t decrease in quality to meet the demand). So far I’ve seen no evidence of a quality control problem, it seems to be running smoothly. I don’t think you can apply much logic to advertising. “Buy Mokeskine and you’ll have a better personality.” And then nobody seems to notice…I heard that Moleskine is the number one selling book in America. This is now a mass-produced item from China (there really was a little Italian factory with 15 employees). But the product is good…Bob, about our not being able to live without their stuff. I always wondered if I was the only person who caught the purpose of the story about poor old Bruce Chatwin who RAN OUT of Moleskine notebooks and pathetically tried to buy all of the notebooks he could find, but there just weren’t enough. So subliminally you think, I’d better buy up all the notebooks I can, there’s going to be a shortage. I actually THOUGHT THAT and then I was able to evaluate where it came from. It’s really kind of funny.

July 19, 2009 at 11:35 pm #35917

roseindigo

Since I’m so out of the mainstream that I don’t see or hear any advertising, this hasn’t bothered me at all. I use the watercolor Moleskines because they fit my purpose. But Dick Blick has a very similar sketchbook with nice paper, same sizes, and if I ever see ads that I don’t like I have no hesitation about changing my allegiance.

I haven’t watched TV in over 30 years and seldom listen to the radio and read no mainstream magazines, which means my brain has not been inundated with what’s popular or what’s in or what’s a fad. I simply don’t care. But if you do, I suggest you actually do write to them and say something—-just for your own satisfaction—because I’m sure they don’t care that much as long as they are making money.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.