'skine.art Twitter page RSS Amazon Wishlist 'skine.art Facebook page Moleskine Art Facebook group 'skine.art on Kindle
home | interviews | contributors | shop | faq
login or register to submit your art
MattiasBanner

COMMUNICATION

Home Forums General Discussion COMMUNICATION

This topic contains 28 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Uncle Bob 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 29 total)
  • Author

Uncle Bob

COMMUNICATION

["stremiki " - John Stremikis & "trebor61" - Bob McDowall]

Some Moleskiners in the past, have asked me how I manage certain techniques and the only ways I knew were to direct them to photographs – I use flickr, or to describe how, in lengthy detail, in the forums section. Clearly this is only “adequate” so John and I have discussed, what might be, more efficient methods of communication.

Our discussions started by exchanging emails, then we started to go on-line with Skype using video cams. I think the fact that one can see and speak to others across the globe, is fantastic and it makes my Scottish heart sing because its free. We would like to see if others, who contribute to Skineart, might like to help us expand this by joining us on line. John and I initially talked about many things, including but not exclusively, sharing art techniques. We have had many an enjoyable time chatting and swapping ideas about a whole range of subjects. I now know, for instance, that some American beers are quite nice (this explains my post about Chicago beverages – approved November 22nd). John is daily learning to understand my Scottish accent more and more.

Clearly we had to have some sort of plan before starting a new thread in this “forums section” so here are some ideas which we have pursued. The links which refer to small “instructional videos” are meant to show, only, that it can be done. Please excuse the roughness and amateurishness of my attempts.

BEFORE OUR ON-LINE VIDEO CONFERENCING

Using flickr photos:

I have used this, in the past to try to answer particular questions, usually asked in the form of a comment.

Q. How do you paint the mountains in your latest post?

A. Please view these picture from the links shown -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28475994@N00/4055812139/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28475994@N00/4055812747/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28475994@N00/4055813583/

Clearly this is a bit cumbersome and takes time to do.

Describing/sharing techniques in the forums section:

I started a thread called “Sharing techniques with others” and have used it to reply to a few folk who have asked questions. The main drawback with the different threads in the forums is that, if they are not used for a while, they disappear from the screen as more recent ones are posted. To access this you will have to, firstly know it exists and, secondly do a search for it. The only way I now use this is to leave the link in the comment box when answering a query.

http://www.skineart.com/forums/topic.php?id=36#post-139

Sending emails to other Moleskiners:

I am in touch with a few other Moleskiners and enjoy swapping ideas and chat with these folk in the USA and parts of the UK and Europe. My email address is bobmcdowall@hotmail.com Please feel free to contact me at this address if you wish. John can be contacted at jrstremi@wisc.edn

AFTER OUR ON-LINE VIDEO CONFERENCING

Actual techniques used in video conferencing:

Among other things,” getting started”, “techniques and etiquette”, “having more than two people on-line at the same time”, “split screens”, “control of the screens by passing this to other participants”. John is an expert on these matters and his expertise is great (and sometimes quite bewildering to a beginner like me) so don’t feel excluded through inexperience. We would see beginners sharing ideas, initially, on a one to one basis if they felt happier doing this.

Talking about various matters using web cams:

This lead to a sort of understanding that maybe some sort of organised discussion might take place if a group were on line. We investigated the possibility of asking folks to view a set of photographs or videos in advance of a get together. This meant getting a decent video cam (my existing one was huge and unwieldy). I settled for a “flip mino” and started to produce stuff like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC4ZtzfBWdQ

This is a video shot in Almondell park. Many of my Skineart posts have originated here.

Having proved that this is possible it seems there are two routes to help get ideas across. One is to produce instructional videos similar to the above and the other is to actually do this live. Both routes are similar, for the purposes of showing this here. My initial difficulty was making a device – a very rough and ready thing, to hold the video cam above my desk to be used to record “movies” or to act as a camera when live. I’ve managed this as I hope this link shows:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28475994@N00/4119781545/

I was able to shoot these two “basic efforts” to show, to myself, that this is possible. Many thanks to another of my contacts for some brilliant suggestions on how these might be improved in the future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFpTUiwqclk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg3JqfNaCLU

Some feedback would really be appreciated and, as a measure of success, we reckon that if only one or two Moleskiners augmented our group by sharing Skype details, then this would be enough to give us encouragement. You can find me on Skype at “rbmcdowall” and John at “Russell G Retriever”

Looking forward to hearing from you.

November 22, 2009 at 2:58 pm #36171

Terry

Bob,

we have exchanged emails and as you know I support this idea and want to help as I can.

Thank goodness john is educating you that we have some good beer here. However for the best you must come to the Northwest, more breweries here than anyplace in the country!

November 22, 2009 at 4:29 pm #36174

stremiki

Bob – and all,

I read Bob’s note above with lots of enthusiasm. At least for me and from my perspective, the ‘Skineart website and the exchanges already going along there are a very rich resource. So the idea here is to add value to that, through these additional ways and means. For me, ‘Skineart community is the “mainstay” – and perhaps this is one way to contribute something of added value to the community. That’s some of what Bob is saying here (well, at least I’m repeating it, here.) – and, that’s my hope.

A minor correction to my email address:

jrstremi@wisc.edu

And, Terry – many thanks for the supportive message. A minor correction to your conception of the Northwest breweries, though: More breweries doesn’t necessarily equate to “better” breweries, does it ? (insert “smilie”)

I’m not sure that California doesn’t have more than either Wisconsin or Washington State. but, just like cheese, Wisconsin’s products top ‘em all !

//john

November 22, 2009 at 5:30 pm #36175

Uncle Bob

Whoops! Sorry John. Have corrected your email address in my post. (I will not live this down folks). Good to see the banter about the pros and cons of beer starting up again. We narrowly avoided an international incident last time but this might change to a USA “National” incident.

Terry. Thanks for this. Will be in touch soon.

November 23, 2009 at 4:59 pm #36176

Terry

John,

We beat California by a mile in quantity, have to find the numbers sometime. No numbers do not equate qualty but we do have some of the best ales, etc around, come on over and we can do some sampleing

November 23, 2009 at 5:01 pm #36177

Terry

John,

have tried your skype name, and the corrected email but can not find you on skype. mine is TerryChristopherson see if you can find me

December 14, 2009 at 3:17 pm #36223

plasma_girl

Bob, I quite enjoyed the videos and have already learned from them (I know next to nothing about art techniques, so I appreciate the you sharing what you know). My skype name is plasma_girl, but as I told Bob in an e-mail, I’m not quite sure how to use the account (someone else set it up for me a while ago).

I think more communication is a great idea, even though I might be able to participate as much as I would like. Good luck with it, though, and thanks for being brave enough to share your videos, Bob!

P.S. It is true, there are plenty of good beers here in the states. :-)

December 15, 2009 at 3:13 am #36228

skype? guess i’ll go research it, wouldn’t mind having more communication about art processes. oh and the micro brews in the pacific northwest are outstanding!

December 15, 2009 at 9:51 am #36229

Uncle Bob

Go for it Joe and anyone else who wants to join us.

The set up for Skype is quite simple. Google Skype.com and take it from there. You don’t want an account which charges – just one for the free calls. When you are set up, with your Skype “name” search in the “contacts” menu – “Search for Skype Users” My name can be found under “rbmcdowall”. Add me as a contact and there you are – I’ll get back to you. If you don’t have a web cam with microphone then you can still communicate by text. If the person you are speaking to does have a web cam you will be able to see him/her. If they have a microphone as well you can hear them. One of our other contacts, John, is extremely computer literate so if you have any difficulties he will be glad to help. Just get in touch – http://www.bobmcdowall@hotmail.com or leave a message here.

March 1, 2010 at 8:49 pm #36399

stremiki

‘Skineartists -

just a brief note, to let you all know that Ziza has arrived safely in Kathmandu, via Istanbul. he’s on assignment, as International Consulting Engineer, Extraordinaire.

He’s in good hands with his hosts, put up in a very fine hotel. All luggage has arrived including several handfuls of his finest sable brushes (Rosemary’s), his pocket palette and easel(s), and the extensive collection of travel Moleskine journals in various formats, from mini- up to A3.

Ziza is working as a professional engineer 12 to 15 hours per day and that’s his primary focus. But he’s also quick to assure that he’s not forgotten The Rest of Us.

more importantly, he’s gotten Skype to work – audio and video. latest word is that he braved the elements (heavy morning fog) – to tour the jobsite in a helicopter complete with glass floor – the view does sound spectacular in spite of the limited visibility.

although the visibility prohibited camera shots or reference photos, we’re promised that breathtaking sketches are already taking shape under Ziza’s skilled and practiced hand.

in the link below,

several screensnaps for you — the first two from Ziza’s hotel room, shortly after arrival.

and, a third screen snap of our International Skype Conference this morning (Chicago time).

in our morning’s collaboration, Bob was responsible for the guitar and vocals, Ziza for

harmony and vocals, and myself to provide the lyrics and translations.

enjoy the link to Ziza, our beloved ‘skineartist, as well as International Consulting Engineer

extraordinaire !

engineer, ‘skineartist, singer/songwriter, polyglot, international collaborator. is there anything this

guy can’t do ? like maybe sketch while aboard a helicopter in Kathmandu ? actually, it did sound

as if he was speaking to a hotel staff member in their native Nepali (नेपाली).

http://zizaandbobsgreatadventures.blogspot.com/2010/03/ziza-is-arrived-in-kathmandu.html

March 2, 2010 at 2:43 pm #36401

Uncle Bob

Yes John and Ziza, This was a laugh. Mind you, I’m mortified at the realisation that someone in Scotland was accompanying someone in Nepal while singing Irish folks songs. Notice how John kept quietly in the background. There is probably some sort of international law against this. I wonder if the Internet Police were listening?

March 2, 2010 at 3:19 pm #36402

stremiki

Aye, Bob –

and the Internet Police said that this was absolutely the best rendition

they’d ever heard.

“well i PLAAAAAAYED the Wild Rover” — look for it on YouTube.

sorry to have been so quietly in the background – you guys certainly

kept me busy, with that tin whistle, banjo and fiddle. I’ll wear the mic,

next time.

musha ring dumma do damma da

whack for the daddy ‘ol

whack for the daddy ‘ol

March 2, 2010 at 6:14 pm #36403

Ziza

John and Bob, thank you both for wonderful time and info provided for the others who for whatever peculier reason might be interested in my whereabouts. However, I have to stress that John here showed a bit of tendency for exageration. For the sake of truth I have to deny some of his claims. First of all I didnt bring any A3 books along. Secondly, I wasnt speaking Nepali to a staff member. It was someone else and I cannot disclose it since my wife could be reading this. And finally I was singing out of key since Absolute vodka, influence of which I experienced just before performance, was absolutely damaging my singing capabilities. The rest, I’m affraid is true presentation of what happened and what’s going on. BTW, Bob’s playing was absolutely masterful and John did provide lirics, for any song we could think of, in a nick of time!

March 2, 2010 at 11:15 pm #36404

plasma_girl

I must admit I’m of the opinion that the more Irish folk songs (regardless of nationality or locale) the better!

March 3, 2010 at 3:29 am #36405

Nikira

I am delighted to know that Ziza is ok and soon we’ll see new observations of Nepal. And thinking to research on Skype for Mac, because my PC is too slow.

March 3, 2010 at 3:41 pm #36406

stremiki

in English:

http://www.skype.com/intl/en/download/skype/macosx/

or,

http://www.skype.com/intl/ru/download/skype/macosx/

Системные требования

компьютер Mac с процессором G4, G5 или Intel c частотой 800 МГц или выше;

Mac OS X 10.3.9 (Panther) или более новая версия;

для видео с более высоким разрешением требуется более мощный процессор (двухъядерный Core 2 Duo) и широкополосное интернет-соединение со скоростью отдачи не менее 384 Кбит/с;

512 Мбайт оперативной памяти;

100 Мбайт свободного места на жестком диске;

для голосовой связи требуется встроенный или внешний микрофон;

если в твоем Mac нет встроенного микрофона, тебе потребуется гарнитура (USB или обычная);

соединение с Интернетом (в идеале – широкополосное: соединение GPRS непригодно для голосовой связи).

March 4, 2010 at 6:56 pm #36408

Ziza

Nikira, I think John was more then helpful with the link above so you should be up and running in no time. I’d like to see you soon on Skype(TM) so I could sing (as a Bosnian guy from Nepal) the song in Russian specially for you as a welcome token. So hurry up and let us know what your user name is so we could find you!

You can have the song of your choice… (can be this “Подмосковние вечера” or this “Катюша”) OR how about this one:

Снова замерло все до рассвета

Дверь не скрипнет не вспыхнет огонь

Только слышно на улице где-то

Одинокая бродит гармонь

Только слышно на улице где-то

Одинокая бродит гармонь

То пойдет на поля за ворота

То вернется обратно опять

Словно ищет в потемках кого-то

И не может никак отыскать

Словно ищет в потемках кого-то

И не может никак отыскать

Веет с поля ночная прохлада

С яблонь цвет облетает густой

Ты признайся кого тебе надо

Ты скажи гармонист молодой

Ты признайся кого тебе надо

Ты скажи гармонист молодой

Может радость твоя недалеко

Да не знает ее ли ты ждешь

Что ж ты бродишь всю ночь одиноко

Что ж ты девушкам спать не даешь

Что ж ты бродишь всю ночь одиноко

Что ж ты девушкам спать не даешь

March 10, 2010 at 7:34 pm #36409

stremiki

our beloved Ziza is on his way back home -

in a Skype text-chat, he found me while

at the Doha airport — spending already some

3 hours in layover — and then only 4.5 hours

waiting after that.

once on the plane, it’s only 12hrs 15 minutes

to get back home.

we had a brief video connection – but, too

loud noises in the airport to hear each other.

sorry, I did not see the sketches from Nepal,

nor from the airport, or from the flights. I’m

waiting patiently, as are many others.

March 12, 2010 at 1:28 pm #36410

Ziza

Hello all. I’m back, a bit tired but alive and kicking. I hope that soon I’d be back to normal – ie. like posting one per day. Kathmandu was quite an experience, however, hardly any time left for sketching or sightseeing. I can’t complain. I was (almost too) well received there. Helicopter ride was making up for all the lost opportunities to see more. Of course I did see those famous temple-filled squares of Kathmandu and Patan which was unforgeable experience as well. I hope to put some photos on my blog, facebook or flicker – I’ll let you know when it’s done…

January 16, 2011 at 9:01 am #36597

Uncle Bob

Just posting this to let you all know an ambition has been realised. When I started this thread, I wondered if “communication” would ever bear fruit into something of a more practical nature. Now, for the past few days, John Stremikis and his son, Kris, have been visiting here in Edinburgh. They have travelled all the way from The Midwest of America and NYC respectively. Margaret and I continue to enjoy being tourists in our own city as we show our friends some of the sights. We have a few days left to show them more of this part of the world as well as to inflict local cuisine on them (yes they have bravely eaten haggis as well as imbibing the local “falling-down-juice” AKA Whisky). Weather has been appalling but this does not seem to have dampened things. All of this could not have happened without the initial contacts through this web site. It does my heart good to see the first stages of something dear to me, happen. God truly has smiled on Margaret and me. Just thought you all might like to share this with me.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.