'skine.art Twitter page RSS Amazon Wishlist 'skine.art Facebook page Moleskine Art Facebook group 'skine.art on Kindle
home | interviews | contributors | shop | faq
login or register to submit your art
MattiasBanner

Be a part of ‘skine.art redesign!

Home Forums General Discussion Be a part of ‘skine.art redesign!

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  plasma_girl 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Leo

Hi, guys!

My apologies about not participating in the forums as much as I’d like. I have a perfect excuse though – been very busy:

- designing a new face for ‘skine.art;

- bringing in a few VERY interesting sponsors willing to provide contest prizes;

- lining up the contests. I’m excited about this!

First order of business – a new design. I think it would be fun to engage the community (that’s you!) in the process, and see what we can come up with. The new design is already laid out and can be pre-viewed here:

http://www.skineart.com/?preview_theme=skineart

My idea here is to give the site a more social network-like feel (notice how the individual posts look). The main navigation is a Moleskine Japanese Album (the accordion). The first spread is for branding (the logo might change). The following six spreads/flaps will serve as major navigation tabs (move the mouse over the flaps, see how they work. The last one looks wrong for now, I’ll change that).

My thinking for the tabs:

- “Submit your art” (or “submit yours”);

- “Random post”;

- “Forum”;

- “Sign in / Sign out”

- “Store”

- “Interviews”

The tabs’ content order might change depending on your feedback.

I want to have a variety of styles/colors on the flaps as if this was an actual Japanese Album Moly.

Thoughts:

- the artwork should look good as if it’s drawn/painted on the page, but chopped off (just the bottom quarter of the page is shown);

- each flap should be relevant – the “forum” should suggest discussion, etc.

- a caption will be added to each tab simulating drawn/painted text;

- a proper credit will be given to each artist whose piece is chosen for one of the tabs;

- don’t worry about the shape of the tabs, just draw as you normally do. I’ll crop, edit, skew, blend your work into the layout;

- maybe you already have an existing work that would fit the description.

What do you think? Group effort?

I’d appreciate any feedback.

Leo.

June 3, 2009 at 8:47 pm #35805

Nick Powell

Leo

I like the look of it but I find the green colour a bit distracting but that may just because its not what I am used to seeing around the contributions, I will come back again with a new eye when I have more time tomorrow.

Love the general layout, Icons and design!You must have been working very hard on this. Any chance of an announcement section on the home page for you to notify us of competitions, problems with the site, changes to posting systems etc etc?

June 3, 2009 at 8:54 pm #35806

Nick Powell

Just gone back for a second look and think that it may grow on me, the colour that is.

The rest of it is good, very good!

The title on the Japanese moly at the top could be a bit bolder, how about a letter on each page? Just an idea.

June 3, 2009 at 10:05 pm #35808

Leo

Thanks, Nick.

My thinking behind the dark background is to draw attention to what matters the most – the art pieces. They pop this way.

Right now it’s just a layout – to see how the pieces work together. I can change the dark background/color scheme to a popular demand – just let me know what you like, guys.

Let’s focus on the tabs. Anyone?

June 4, 2009 at 12:06 pm #35811

Rudat

This is exciting! Green? The background looks dark grey on my monitor. It really makes the art stand out. The undulating pages of the Japanese moleskine is lots of fun. One suggestion…since we seem to be struggling with how to post a monthly theme, could we have a tag for this? Overall, I think the site looks great!

June 4, 2009 at 1:36 pm #35812

Leo

Hey, Susan.

It’s dark grey slightly tinted green. There will be an announcement box holding all contests, news, monthly theme challenges, etc.

I’d love to use your piece for one of the tabs. Maybe the coffee cup for the “Forum” flap?

June 4, 2009 at 2:18 pm #35813

Rudat

Sure, I’d be honored!

June 7, 2009 at 6:07 pm #35829

Matt L

personally i love the new colour, and especially the comment thing on the left side.

and the contest thing would be great if it had something organized, i think anyways.

and about the tabs at the top, they are a great idea , they look a bit out of the way like too high up to me, but its still good, just a suggestion.

June 8, 2009 at 8:14 pm #35838

plasma_girl

I really like the comment speech bubble as well as the little calendar graphic to mark the date being on the left side rather than just as text above the art. I also really love the logo and the look of the shifting tabs up at the top of the page and I like all of the navigation choices being together in the upper right (rather than the current home, interviews, etc. being at the left and login/register on the right). I was a little unsure of the darkened background at first, but it has grown on me and I think I’ve come to like it.

The only detail I dislike is the way the heart for faves appears in the new layout since the contrasting background shows of the choppy, pixelated edge and it doesn’t look nice and smooth the way it does on the white background (not sure if this is just because it’s a preview rather than the finished product at this point, but I figured I’d mention it because I noticed.)

Also, I would love to see the search field move up to the top of the page rather than being buried down below between the archives and recent comments. That might just be a personal preference on my part, though, since I tend to use the search feature much more frequently than the other things in that column.

Overall, I think the new layout looks great so far and I can’t wait to see it finished.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.