The Tron Kirk – Ink on a Watercolour Moleskine
The main Kirk or Church in Edinburgh was, and still is, The High Kirk of St Giles. Charles 1st, however, decided that Scots should adopt a more “English episcopalian” form of worship and the High Kirk became St Giles Cathedral. This enraged many Scots (every school student used to be taught the story of Jenny Geddes who refused to participate in the new form of worship and threw her small stool at the minister’s head. A riot broke out and the High Kirk’s authorities decided that the the best course of action was to build a separate church). The Tron Kirk, a stone’s thrown from St Giles was a result of this. It was completed in 1647. It gets its name from the weighing scales which were housed here for many years – a “tron” is an old Scots measure. These days the Tron is a visitor centre for tourists but the intricate wooden structure, the only part of the steeple to survive the great fire of 1824, can still be seen.
This scene shows the Tron at the junction of the Royal Mile with the crossroads of North and South Bridge. The street continues up the hill and terminates at Edinburgh Castle.