St Andrew’s Cathedral – Pencil
These impressive ruins are over 370 long. This sketch only shows part of the structure which fell into ruin after the Scottish Reformation. The original cathedral was formed in 1158 and was the scene of many historical events until its demise. These days it is worth visiting if only to wonder at the magnificence of the architecture and sheer labour which our ancestors gave to create buildings such as this. To the right of this scene is St Rule’s Tower. It was probably built to allow worship to take place, on this site, while the main cathedral was being built. It is possible to obtain terrific views from the top of the tower.