Mons Meg – Ink and Watercolour in a Watercolour Moleskine
(Another one to remind Rene of Edinburgh)
This large cannon, or “Bombard” sits proudly in Edinburgh Castle. It was built in 1449 near Mons in Wallonia then gifted to the Scottish King James 2nd. The “Meg” is thought to be named after “Margaret of Denmark – King James 3rd’s wife”. They knew how to flatter women in those days. Mons Meg weighs over 15,000 lbs (7,000kg), is 15ft long ( 4.5m) and fires round projectiles 20″ dia (500mm) weighing 400lbs (180kg). Its her heyday she could only be fired about 8 times a day as the build up of heat was huge. The range was around 2 miles. The carriage is not original – this a replacement built in 1835.
To all potential invaders – beware. She probably still works. Forget modern weaponry – Whar’s yer laser guided bombs noo?