Fleshmarket Close, Edinburgh – Ink
This view of one of the old “Closes” is from an old print dated 1845. The closes, so named after the passageways formed by high buildings close to each other, were used for general passageways as well as for trading. Although there are no traders and people in this scene Fleshmarket Close would have been teeming with butchers plying their trade. It must have been a pretty insanitary place in the old days. In bygone many, many people were crammed into these buildings but today, Its interesting to note that the properties are much sought after. One tiny building, with one bedroom, is currently up for rent of around £1,000 per month. Fleshmarket Close has one of the smallest pubs in the city halfway down the steep street. It is called, appropriately, the Halfway House.